July 14, 2012

German adopting English words

Goethe said : “Wer frende Sprachen nicht kennt, Weiss nichts von seiner eigenen”, something like: “He who does not know another language does not know his own”. 

I have been away for a while preparing for the German proficiency exam: DHS (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) and then celebrating that I passed with a DSH2. I will tell you more about this exam soon. But today: let´s talk about the English influence into the German language.

My parents were here in Munich in June and they, as all our friends that have visited, did pretty well in the day to day life without a word of German. It is hardly surprising that one can live in Munich without speaking the language: the city receives an influx of tourists almost four times its population every year (5.5 million). Therefore you can expect that they city is going to have a very well developed and established tourism infrastructure to welcome everyone that can speak English.

But I believe the reasons go beyond that. 


I have recently read an article from the Süddeutsche Zeitung  (Is´ja krass, SZ 31.1) that described how the communication of today´s teens is changing in Germany. Words like “cool”, “mum”, “loser”, “shit” or “super” have made their way into the language and they are nowadays part of the daily vocabulary of German adolescents.

But English is not only becoming popular between the youngest, it is also invading the office. People do not use “Sitzung” oder “Besprechung” so oft anymore, they prefer the word “meeting”. Actually the English word meeting has become “das Meeting” in German. But this is just the beginning, these days German companies have “Office managers”,”Human resources” Abteilungen (departments) and “Marketing teams”; the “teams” are no longer “eine Arbeitsgruppe” oder “eine Mannschaft” but the English-German version: “das Team” and they do “kick-off” “Termine” every year; employees work with a “computer” (“der Computer”), not with a “Rechner” and they  take the “laptop” when they travel, not a “tragbarer Rechner”; the teams do “follow up” and “networking” with clients and projects; companies have “casual Fridays” and some other have “home-Offices” if they are not “burn out” already. 

So I believe that the influence of English in the German language is another reason why people can walk around and survive without a word of German.  

Last week we had a discussion in the Uni about this topic. The teacher asked the only native-English speaker in the class. She said that she does not understand this phenomenon and that she does not like it. She said it sounds bad when they use English words in German. Well, I do not know about that and I doubt that this is a shared feeling by the anglo-community… I cannot imagine why you would not like to hear your own language-words used in German… I love when I hear Spanish words in other languages, but I am nobody to judge…

The fact is that English is everywhere here. Let me tell you three more facts:

  • In 2012 Germany presented his song in the Eurovision contest. The song: “Standing Still”. Roman Lob came out of “Unser Star für Baku” a German casting TV show where he and his song in English were chosen by the jury and the public to represent the country in Eurovision this year. I love the song but why didn´t they pick a song in German?
  • The sales season was already on a week ago when I went to the Riem Arkaden in Munich, a great shopping mall in the Messestadt. I knew it was sales season not because the shop window signs said “Ausverkauft” oder “Rabatte” but because it said “sales” and “discount”. I mentioned this to my friends in Spain and they say that shops in Madrid and Barcelona only use the word “sales” these days. They said: it is cooler this way… why is "sales" cooler"?
  • And finally, there was a parade in Munich today: the “Christopher Street Day”. It has been widely announced and it will be reported in the news under this name. They do not use a German equivalent or translation. Why not?
I have to write an essay of 200 words in German on the reasons why the influence of English into German is so strong these days.  At this point I have more questions than answers, so please let me know your opinion, ideas and comments.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that this email finds you well.

    I recently came across your blog whilst researching the Travel and Vacation sector and would like to discuss the possibility of paying you to display an advertisement on the site.

    We have a large customer base of clients prepared to pay to display discrete adverts, contextually matched to the content of the page on high quality sites like yours, and this can be a great way to generate an income without compromising your website.

    Please email me back at sarah@adbeans.com if you would be interested in finding out more and I will send you a follow-up email outlining the opportunity in more detail.

    I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello New in the City,

    I'm new myself... here in Garching, from Minnesota, USA, for a few weeks to secure temporary housing while we look for a more permanent residence in an area we want to live (have no clue right now, but once we are here and living in our temporary residence we can more freely investigate our options), within a commutable distance to Garching, where my husband works.

    I'd love to connect with others who are new to Munich... I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking for book stores with English sections -- loved your Book, book, books... article -- and hope you will be willing to contact me privately (mmlinder@gmail.com). I could use some 'insider' info from someone who's been here for awhile.

    Also, I'm deaf, so learning the language will be especially challenging to me, but I'm up for the challenge. I have found a few resources for info relating to deaf/hard of hearing.

    I have a few German references for contact from friends, but I'll wait to contact them once I'm here for good. In the meantime, I thought I'd comment here, as it sounds as if you would be a great person to talk to about relocating to Munich.

    Another subject that I'm interested in learning about is kayaking on the Isar and whether natural waterways have any access restrictions -- I plan to bring my kayak and I'd hate to be arrested for paddling where I wasn't supposed to be paddling. I've not found much info on kayaking in Germany. You may or may not be able to shed light on this subject, but skimming through your blog you seem to be someone whose interests run in the same bent as mine. Thanks in advance! ~~Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michele or New In Garching:-) I´ll PM you so we chat offline.
      Cheers,
      New in the City

      Delete
  3. This is probably way too late, but just for interest sake read this. http://www.goethe.de/ges/spa/siw/en4857386.htm

    ReplyDelete